Ontario reports 43 new COVID-19 deaths, daily cases below 2,000 Patricia D’Cunha

Ontario says 43 more people have died from COVID-19 with new cases dropping to below 2,000 — as the province marks one year since its first case was confirmed.

So far, 5,846 people have lost their lives to the virus, and a majority of the deaths (3,427) were residents in long-term care.

Provincial health officials reported 1,958 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, a drop from 2,417 cases the day before.

Most of the new cases are in Toronto (727), followed by Peel Region (365), and York Region (157).

The province said 1,398 people are being treated in hospital with 397 in ICU and 283 on a ventilator.

The province said nearly 36,000 tests were completed and 5,537 doses of the vaccine were administered on Sunday.


RELATED: How COVID-19 has changed daily life a year after Canada’s first case


Back on this date in 2020, provincial health officials announced that Canada’s first COVID-19 case had officially been diagnosed in Toronto.

“The risk to Ontarians is still low and things are managed and well-controlled. As I hoped, the system is operating as it should,” Dr. David Williams, Ontario’s chief medical officer of health, said at the time when making the announcement.

Since then, the virus has infected three-quarters of a million people in Canada, killing more than 19,000 of them.

“A year ago today, we were presented with one of the most difficult challenges in our history with the confirmation of the first case of COVID-19 in Ontario,” Premier Doug Ford and Health Minister Christine Elliott said in a statement on Monday.

“We mourn the passing of each and every person and offer our deepest condolences to their families, friends and colleagues.”

With files from The Canadian Press

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *