Toronto police are cautioning SUV owners in the city’s northeast due to an uptick in vehicle thefts in the area.
Police said two particular types of SUVs — the Lexus RX350 and Toyota Highlander– appear to be car thieves’ brands of choice.
Since Jan. 1, police said a total of 90 Lexus’ have been stolen, 28 of which are Lexus RX350s.
Investigators said there are several ways to prevent your vehicle from being stolen:
- Park your car in a garage
- Consider using a physical deterrent like a steering wheel bar or “club”
- Consider purchasing a secondary vehicle security system that includes vehicle tracking
- Don’t leave your keys out in the open — such as on a kitchen table or counter. Consider buying a container or bag that is designed to block radio signals (a “Faraday” bag)
- Don’t leave your vehicle running in your driveway