Probe finds staff at Montreal’s Residence Herron not at fault during COVID first wave News Staff

MONTREAL — A joint investigation by three professional orders into the high number of COVID-19-related deaths at a Montreal long-term care home says management was more to blame than employees.

The report by Quebec’s college of physicians and the orders of nurses and nursing assistants did not reveal any apparent shortcomings among their members at the hard-hit Residence Herron.

It did find poor work organization and a lack of knowledge of the health-care field among management at the privately run facility.

The orders’ report also investigated Montreal’s public geriatric institute, Institut universitaire de geriatrie de Montreal, and it found the care provided was adequate despite an intense COVID-19 outbreak. 

The joint investigation analyzed the care offered at the private and public facilities during the first wave of the pandemic in Quebec, between December 2019 and mid-April 2020. About 60 deaths were recorded at the two long-term care homes during the period under investigation.

Health Minister Christian Dube and Seniors Minister Marguerite Blais said in a statement today they will look at the report’s 31 recommendations, adding that many changes have been made to the network since last year.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 16, 2021.

The Canadian Press

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *